Forums » Co-Parent "Dating" Stories

My Co-Parenting "First Date"

• 2 posts
    October 25, 2012 4:38:58 PM EDT
    My first "date" with a prospective co-parent (someone I met from the website) was actually not so bad. I was amazed at how much it was like going on a first date from match.com (which I used to be a member of) - the same awkward initial questions, but eventually we loosened up and had a really nice chat about many things (including parenting).

Since we're approaching this in a very casual way, we're just going to get together at a couple of upcoming parties (she invited me to one, I invited her to one) and see how things go from there.

How have other people found their early-on meetings to be?  Was it easy or was it difficult?
    This post was edited by FamilyByDesign at January 5, 2013 1:37:06 PM EST
    • 3 posts
    October 28, 2012 12:03:25 PM EDT
    I've gone on "dates" with 3 different guys now. Like you mention, it was very much like "dating" traditionally, except the conversation was definitely different.

In some ways, I found it really nice that I could speak about an issue that's been very important to me - parenting - without having to worry about whether my "date" would freak out about a conversation like this at such an early stage!
    • 3 posts
    January 20, 2013 10:34:14 AM EST
    It felt in many ways like a regular date, except that there was less of the romantic-connectivity pressures - but on the other hand it was definitely interesting to chat with someone you're just meeting in person for the first time around parenting! (We had chatted on line for a while, but it still took a little getting used to.)
    • 3 posts
    February 10, 2013 10:42:17 AM EST
    It felt totally like a regular date at the beginning, but then it felt much more relaxed - i.e., there didnt feel like there was as much pressure, at least for me.
    • 2 posts
    June 2, 2013 1:26:38 PM EDT
    What are your recommendations for a first co-parent date?
  • Anonymous
    February 3, 2015 2:18:09 PM EST
    these are some good insights, i'm coming into this very non judgemental,open minded.
  • February 16, 2015 12:16:15 PM EST
    I am so interested i learning how this site can help match two people together in a way that is incredibly meaningful. I hope that I have a great first date!
  • Anonymous
    September 6, 2017 4:59:57 PM EDT
    This is interesting. Good to hear that you have good experiences! :)
  • October 19, 2017 1:50:47 PM EDT
    Elective co-parenting as a concept seems to be more recognised in the US than the UK - still feels like breaking new ground over here.
  • October 22, 2017 11:01:32 PM EDT
    Nice experiences! I guess you must have a few "dates" before you can find the right partner :)