Forums » Choice of Conception Method

Intercourse For Co-Parents?

• 1 posts
    October 25, 2012 7:29:02 PM EDT
    I've been having some great conversations with a prospective co-parent - a straight guy who has pretty much all the qualities I'm looking for in a co-parent. He's not interested in a romantic relationship (and I'm pretty much on the same page with him in this regard), but he's open to conceiving a child the "old-fashioned way".

While I'm open to the idea of co-parenting through intercourse, I'm wondering if it would make our relationship - which is developing nicely - awkward afterwards. It might just make sense to keep it to the cup and the syringe.  Anyone else have thoughts on this one way or the other?
    This post was edited by FamilyByDesign at January 5, 2013 1:39:21 PM EST
  • October 28, 2012 8:00:07 PM EDT
    Its definitely an awkward conversation if there's not a romantic connection. There's not a lot of evidence that having intercourse makes it any more likely you'll conceive than doing it with the cup and the syringe.

You might want to take a look at the "Conception Options" Chart on the Medical Page of FamilyByDesign - it lays out the positives and negatives of intercourse vs home insemination which I found useful.
    • 2 posts
    January 2, 2013 9:01:03 AM EST
    Its not even on the table for me. I'm planning on having my fertility doctor do it - its covered by insurance and I'd feel more comfortable going that route. You could also do the cup and syringe if your insurance won't cover it.
  • Anonymous
    February 20, 2013 10:34:51 PM EST
    Intercourse always seems like the most likely way to get pregnant. Saves money too. Funny how co-parenting is so much like real life getting pregnant - you gotta find the right person for you, date, and - maybe- have sex for the sole purpose of having a baby! Amazing... Good luck to you !
    • 4 posts
    November 1, 2013 11:01:10 PM EDT
    This is interesting, I guess for me the cup and syringe would be the ideal way, not sure if I could do the intercourse -although it's the natural way- but who knows I guess I would be open to whatever is agreed upon or more comfortable.
  • December 7, 2014 7:20:55 PM EST
    This is a fascinating conversation, I'm so glad to have found a place to have it!
  • June 1, 2015 9:00:30 AM EDT
    i'm new to this and seeing the take of what people see the best way to conceive
  • July 28, 2015 5:24:15 PM EDT
    I am quite sure most of if not all of us straight guys would be more than willing to do things the "old fashion way". Personally which ever way you are comfortable.

"Dr. Orr has a Masters of Reproductive Medicine as well as Women’s Health. He also holds a Bachelor of Health Science and is a doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine. He says there are several benefits of female orgasm that assist with conception “ specifically the increased blood supply and hormone production, which increases the chances of pregnancy.

Dr. Orr says, Many studies have proven that it isn’t about helping the sperm. An embryo needs blood supply to live. How do you get blood flow into the pelvis? Sex and climax during which, the hormones oxytocin and prostaglandin are released to further assist implantation. We also know that orgasm helps to regulate the menstrual cycle in much the same way “ and sperm actually may help trigger ovulation."

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/conception/orgasm-does-a-female-orgasm-increase-chances-of-pregnancy/"
  • July 28, 2015 5:24:42 PM EDT
    But then again, he's a guy...
  • August 13, 2015 2:04:05 PM EDT
    That he is ... men! :)
  • February 16, 2017 11:24:59 PM EST
    If the partner isn't comfortable enough to conceive through regular intercourse, I question how much of a connection we have to make a life long commitment. It's just too weird to conceive through a cup if we're both perfectly healthy.
  • May 19, 2017 2:43:34 PM EDT
    I think Maybe there's a trust and vulnerability issues that's not being addressed
  • Anonymous
    July 31, 2017 5:14:16 PM EDT
    mabe he Will fill better like he made child in real Relationship in his mind after that? i mean IT must feel strange for A Guy to see his baby and Know that baby comes from A cup.