Forums » Co-Parenting and Sperm Donor Agreements

Add choice of religion to a co-parenting agreement?

• 3 posts
    October 25, 2012 6:53:33 PM EDT
    My prospective co-parent and I have been debating how we should provide religious guidance to our child. (I am Baptist and she is a lapsed Catholic.) I feel that we should spell out in our co-parenting agreement how we should plan to provide religious guidance, but she doesn't want the child to be raised in any particular faith but rather would like our child to learn about different religions and make his/her own choice.

How have you others out there where you and your co-parent are of different faiths (and levels of religious belief) dealt with this issue?
    • 1 posts
    December 28, 2012 3:09:59 PM EST
    Just like with any parents, I think that discussing a child's religion is important to have. If you really believe that you want your child to have a certain religion (I'm assuming Baptist?), you should explain to your co-parent why this is important to you - I'm sure you guys can communicate and find some common ground on this.
    • 1 posts
    May 6, 2013 6:42:19 AM EDT
    I think allowing the child to choose is their right. Teach them your religion, but don't force it upon them. If they like what they see and hear they will follow your faith.